Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chapter 5 Dad's Answer

A few months had passed since my birthday when one day Dad came home from work in an exceptionally good mood. I was outside, when he pulled in the drive.
“Hi Daddy, how was your day?” I asked.
“I had a great day. Where is Parker? I need to talk to him. Oh and do you think you could garden for a while. I need to talk to Parker, man-to-man.” Dad explained.
“He is inside I think. I’ll be in the garden if anyone needs me.” I know when I’m not wanted. I could hear bits and pieces of their conversation.
When the conversation was finished between them my dad got in the car and left. I wasn’t sure where he was going, but he didn’t say anything. I went inside to find out what was said.
“So Parker what happened with you and my dad? He left and didn’t say anything to me.” I asked when I sat next to Parker on the couch.
“Well, he knew that he was going to be getting very ill soon and he didn’t want to put you through that. He couldn’t tell you good –bye because if he did he wouldn’t be able to leave.” Parker explained holding me in his arms. I didn’t know what to think.
“Did he leave for good?” I asked. That was a dumb question; of course, he left for good. If he were dyeing and quickly then he would get as far away from me as he could to prevent any pain for me.

“Yes, all the legal papers you need are on the counter in the kitchen. Just mail them in and you will be your own guardian. Of course, I will still be your protector.” He finished lighter than I expected.
I didn’t know what to think. My dad left me to take care of things by myself. What was I going to do?
We talked for a while before I went to my bed. I gave Parker the master bedroom. I figured if I was going to be alone then I should have my protector move in. Parker was better able to explain the pain my father was about to go through. The curse that was cast upon him was not nice. His body would become as a mummy and then his skin would burn until the pain killed him. My father had a right to run away.

I fell asleep after a few hours of tossing and turning. I prayed my father would be okay. I also asked that his pain would be lessened because he did the right thing, saving me. After I had said amen, sleep came to me. That was the next dream I had of my mother.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love this! The story is going in such interesting directions! Can't wait to see what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete