Sunday, December 5, 2010

Chapter 2 The Big Gift


After we went inside my dad headed for the couch and I followed. “Please explain what is going on, I have to know.” I pleaded with him while setting the box on the coffee table. I could see he was thinking about how to tell me something very important.
“What is it Daddy? Are you okay? Have you been to the doctor?” I fired off questions so fast I didn’t know how I could think that fast.
“Princess, I have a story to tell you. I need you to listen as I tell you; your life depends on it.” He said as he sat back on the couch to prepare for what he had to say.

“Princess, I have a story I need to tell you before you open the gift. This is part of the gift from me. Can you and will you listen?” Dad asked. “Of course I will. I am all ears!” I exclaimed. I knew this was going to be the story I wanted to hear my whole life.
         “The stories around town are true. I did invent a time machine. It was a long time ago.” He took a deep breath and continued. I stared at him with a blank stare. What he was telling me didn’t make sense to me. Why would he lie? “What do you mean you invented a time machine?” I asked. His reply, “I’m not done, please let me finish.” another deep breath. “I didn’t even know it worked when I stepped inside. The gadgets started to spin and back in time I went.” He stood to get a drink of water then sat back down.
         “What about my mother? I don’t care about some invention. I want to know about mom.” I started to cry.


Dad sat back on the couch, “Your mother was Queen Hatshepsut. I when back in time and fell in love with the Queen of Egypt. The night you were born the Great Sphinx issued a death upon your head. You must be killed. I stole you in the dark of night, traveled through time and brought you back here. For that, I was cursed. I am to die on your 18th birthday.” My father finished and I just sat there, stunned and could not form a sentence in my head.
Dad handed me the box again and I opened it. The box contained a picture of my mother and a book. I couldn’t read the title through the tears. I picked up my things and kissed my dad on the cheek.
I had to call Parker!


Parker and I decided to meet at the pool to talk. He felt so good in my arms.
        “Parker, my mother is dead!” I cried to him. “What do you mean, Kylisha?” He asked as he smoothed my hair. “My mother is the dead Queen of Egypt, Queen Hatshepsut. She has been dead for over 6,000 years. What am I going to do?”


I knew he didn’t understand me so I just shook my head and explained everything my father just told me. He listened, but didn’t say a word until I was done. All Parker said was, “Let me drive you home.”



Once we got home, Parker told me he was going to stay on the couch tonight. If I needed anything, he would be right there. He kissed me good night and sent me to bed. No thing I was told today made any sense, I couldn't  think through it. Maybe I am just too tired to think right now. Bed sounds good. I didn’t argue, it wouldn’t have done any good anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment